Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This is North Carolina, isn't it?

Well, it snowed today! So far we've already gotten 3 inches of snow, which is just insane for North Carolina! They say it hasn't snowed here in almost 4 years, but it has been snowing on and off since this morning and is supposed to snow a bit more tomorrow. Let me tell you it is nothing to write home about. So why am I writing about it, you might ask? I'll explain.

Mandi and I took the kids to the mall this morning before the snow started so we could get Maya's ears pierced (they look so cute, by the way). Like I said, the snow hadn't even started, but panic had already set in. People were just freaking out. Sheer terror were in their eyes. The snow was coming. THE SNOW WAS COMING. And the snow did, in fact, come, because by the time we left the mall it was snowing. The usual 15 minute trip back my house took a half an hour. Apparently this strange white powder that falls from the sky makes you forget how to drive (foreshadowing). Finally we got back to my house, got Emily down for her nap and Maya settled for a bottle and realized me needed a couple things from the food store. So I decided to run real quick because it was just barely snowing and there was just a light dusting on the ground.

I ran real quick to the C-store on base. There was a big sign on the door. CLOSED DUE TO SNOW. Are you kidding me?! So I had leave base and go to the food store 2 miles down the road. Not a big deal. Or so I thought.


On my way to the Food Lion I counted 8 (eight, ocho) cars that had skid off of the road. And there were 3 car accidents! I also found out that last night, before it had even started snowing, North Carolina schools were closed for the day. And the base was closed to all non-necessary personnel. Base is still shut down until noon tomorrow!

Calm down, North Carolina, its just a little bit of SNOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment